Monday 13 December 2010

The weekly buzz

I'm catching up with the wonderful ladies from Women in Enterteinment at their annual breakfast. I am also sharing some love for the Women in Film and TV Award.



Sharry Lansing Leadership Award and Women in The Entertainment Power List.




'In 1992, The Hollywood Reporter published its first Women in Entertainment List. The Power 100 list is a chance to celebrate how far women in the industry have come. But, more importantly, it also forces everyone to consider how to move forward' wrote Janice Minn in her Letter From The Editor. 


Helen Mirren was given a Sharry Lansing Leadership Award. She was introduced by the amazing Halle Berry (for some odd reason, I can't embed the video to Halle's speech. I hope to rectify it soon).

In the interview Helen gave to The Hollywood Reporter, we read:

THR: You’ve won fans as a role model for having sex appeal in your 60s. How does that make you feel?

Mirren: A bit cross, actually. We have to let go of this crap. It creates even more pressure on women, and I certainly don’t want to be a part of that. I’m not beautiful; I clean up nice. Why don’t we talk about the fact, for example, that I just did Arthur, and the cinematographer was a woman, the film operator was a woman, the whole camera team were women? That’s where we should be putting our attention. The fact that I look good at the age I am is bloody irrelevant.

Helen Mirren's acceptance speech:





Women in Film and TV Awards

WFTV is a British organisation which provides a great networking chance for thousands of women in the media industries. It also conducts a mentorship programme. This year, Sheila Hancock received a special award. "When I started in the business, there were no women in executive positions, no women producers or directors and certainly no camera women," said Hancock, who got her first big television break in the early 1960s. Carey Mulligan won the award for best performance at Friday's ceremony. Andrea Arnold won for best director. Jane Goldman won the writing prize.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that after her comments on date-rape, my view on her would be tarnish. However, the speech she gave was... inspired and even quite cheeky and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent woman.

    Although, I'm interested to know what her comments on date-rape are..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/sep/01/1 I have to admit, I completely forgot about it. Obviously, I disagree with her entirely. I think that her comments are a perfect example of a woman from an older generation denying and ultimately feeling guilty over what happened to her. It's a sad and not an uncommon attitude. Of course, it doesn't excuse Helen in any way.

    ReplyDelete